[rescue] mysterious hard hangs, two different sun4m's

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 2 20:33:32 CDT 2002

> if anyone is running olvwm on a sun4m and suffering sporadic hangs,
> maybe we have a culprit...
Not exactly the same symptoms, but I had sporadic issues with
ctwm under Solaris 2.5/2.5.1 which turned out to be Solaris-side
bugs.  Like you, I was running it at the time because it was nice to
be able to take an entire home directory with dot files around and
have it Just Work.  (I don't remember all the issues/symptoms...one was
a window titles getting b0rked, and another was system hangs IIRC.)

The place at which I worked at the time had on-site Sun support
folks, so I called them, traded core dumps, binaries, and info with
them, and after about 3 weeks was told essentially, "It's apparently a
bug in Solaris, but you're the only one reporting it so we'll add to
the 'fix when everyone runs out of other things to do' list".  Not
one of the best experiences I ever had with Sun support, but those
folks were amazingly helpful on all the other issues I ran into during
that period.

In the end, I went over to the darkside and started using CDE--other
folks had decided to standardize on it, and it allowed me to get the
virtual workspaces I wanted *and* full support for bug fixes.  (About
the same time I finally learned enough vi to get around and stopped
using emacs*.)  And yes, this was CDE on a SPARC 10 with a single SM40--
not blazingly fast, but usable.

Not sure that this helps, but it at least tends to confirm that the
problems you're seeing might actually be bugs in Solaris...and that
those bugs might not get fixed any time soon.

  --Rip

* I will let those who care enough, debate the question of vi -vs- emacs
  being the dark side...