[rescue] Re: Classic wkstsn boot problem

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Sep 2 11:25:54 CDT 2002

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 simon.young at lexmark.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently acquired a sparc classic workstation, running OS 5.5.
> It has a internal hard disk, but no floppy or cd drive (internal or
> external), this adds to the problem.
>
> 3) I cant see how to access this Classic to upgrade the OS, or at
> least start from a bootable machine. I guess I could obtain an
> external SCSI CD-ROM and "boot cdrom" from the ok prompt maybe?  Or am
> I missing something really simple here..?

I think the least painful thing to do is boot from OS media on CD. It
sounds like you may not have the right password if it doesn't take it, so
you could either 'boot cdrom -s' and wipe out the password, or just
reinstall an OS. .

The classic is a good machine. I had one with 72MB RAM and 1GB disk
serving DNS and mail handling for 10+ domains for nearly three years, and
it was very happy.

You may consider a disk upgrade if you plan to use it as a workstation...
narrow SCSI disks can be had fairly cheaply, and a 5400rpm or 7200rpm 1"
or 1.6" disk should work pretty well. SLower disks may have less heat
issue to deal with, but ymmv.

Hope this helps,
Rob