[rescue] random babble

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 1 09:56:50 CDT 2002

--- Chad Fernandez <fernande at internet1.net> wrote:
> > So by default, a check from the U.S. would be "pay to the bearer".

<snip>

> Wow, what is the point of that?  That makes a check just like cash!

Asked and answered? ;^)

I suspect it is a tradition based on introducing banknotes into a
reluctant market...

Lionel

PS: PITA Dell-rebate issues - I got a laptop from them with a rebate
($300!), but after waiting for months for the rebate (as I expected,
not a real problem), the check arrived made out to $EMPLOYER, since I
had the laptop shipped to the office. The check was sent to my home,
since that is how I completed the rebate paperwork, but it is only
payable to $EMPLOYER. Oh, and the check is no good after 15 Sept. 2002,
because the check was dated 15 July, 2002, but just arrived
yesterday... Not sure if I should blame the rebate fulfillment center
or USPS/FSCKing Al Queda, since all my mail that used to go through the
Hamilton Square, NJ facility is now re-routed elsewhere, since they
have not yet re-opened the facility after what, 9 months...

=====
Lionel

http://finance.yahoo.com