[rescue] Solaris connecting to NetBSD/sparc question

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Nov 29 20:59:58 CST 2002

[ On Friday, November 29, 2002 at 19:02:20 (-0500), Stephen Worotynec wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Solaris connecting to NetBSD/sparc question
>
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > You mean you were trying to get us to help diagnose an application
> > problem before you had even checked to make sure you could get
> > sufficient quantities and sizes of plain old unadorned, uncompressed,
> > unencrypted, packets back and forth between the machines!?!?!?!?
>
> Well, I think the question was fair. Sorry, but I didn't at first notice
> that this was an add-in non-Sun card interface. And, I had actually had
> these two machines connected for a full week. File transfers either way by
> ftp and scp were fine. It was only some onscreen character output that
> caused a problem.

OK, so, the network works?

I don't understand how you're equating some problem with output from
SSH, or SSH dying, etc., with a network problem if the network is
working.  Are you under the impression that the output of the
application can somehow affect the network card device driver?  I highly
doubt it myself, though I suppose anything's possible.  What, exactly,
do you mean by "onscreen"?  What kind of terminal/screen/device are you
using here?

However if it's just an SSH problem then the answers to the other
questions I asked are still the missing piece of the puzzle.
Interactive SSH sessions, while using the same basic protocol and
underlying implementations as SCP are different in that they go through
a pseudo-TTY -- i.e. one more layer of things to cause problems.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>