[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Nov 28 20:18:27 CST 2002

On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 08:59 PM, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> There is a manufacturer out there who makes DASD controllers for the
> s/390 that will use commodity FC-AL or even IDE hard disks.  If I can
> remember who that is I'll post it.

   ...that would probably cost 10X what I just paid for these two
systems.  I'm going to be pretty much stuck with what's in them and
whatever else I can scrounge from the surplus market, I think.  Thanks
for the suggestion, though.

>>    - what kind of cables do I need to connect to the disk drives?
>
> IIRC, these are direct channel connection which is a pretty thick
> umbilical connection.  I fired off a note to someone who may know more
> about this stuff and see what he says.

   I'm guessing that'd either be ESCON or Bus & Tag...probably the
former; I believe the latter was phased out many years ago.  These
machines are apparently circa 1999.

   There is some doubt, though, that there are actually two separate
machines...it may be a two-cabinet system.  I'm waiting for more
information.

         -Dave