[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Nov 26 01:45:43 CST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 02:23:31AM -0500, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> > Maybe overall it would be cheaper to run a single S390.
>
> Maybe.  Maybe not.  How many servers are you replacing?  And what are
> they doing?

A custom "web application server" type app, with builtin web server,
plus database hooks.  Not Java.

Big thing is that I can get a lot more money by selling a virtual
server than a shared server.  So I must give them something that looks
like its own server, with its own root password, etc.

> Some of the larger Sun boxes may be more appropriate.  Or a big
> RS/6000.  Depends on what you're doing.  s/390 doesn't have snappy CPU

I don't think they do this kind of virtualization as well.  I know the
big Sun boxes can partition themselves out to 16 virtual servers, but
that is not enough servers per dollar.  Note:  I am cheap :-)

> performance but I/O is obscenely fast.  Also s/390 will perform

Since the bottleneck is the database (Postgres in this case) that is
OK.

> consistently well as you scale up its load.  But unless we're talking
> about replacing hundreds of PC servers, it might be extreme overkill
> (not to mention the cost....... yikes!)

That's why I am asking about the price.  New - I cannot afford; used -
dunno.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $39.99/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |