[rescue] San Antonio, TX area rescue

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Nov 26 00:01:02 CST 2002

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 12:55:35AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 12:51 AM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >Sridhar was once saing that older gen S/390s were quite affordable, and
> >they are also quite linux capable, but I'd imagine that older ones
> >would
> >do quite a number on your electric bill.
>
>   I believe all of the older ones require 3-phase power, which makes
> them a bit of a pain...but even the very oldest, the G1 machines,
> aren't all that big mainframe-wise.  One extra-super-deep (and very
> heavy) rack for the CPU.

As I'm sure you are aware, one rack doesn't mean it can't gobble down
the electricity.  I mean, just look at a rack of densely packed P4s.
Put a hundred of those in a rack, and you are talking something like
7k watts or more given off as heat from the CPUs alone, not to mention
disks of chipsets, or the electricty used that isn't being converted to heat.

--
Joshua D. Boyd