[rescue] Watchguard Firebox II

mjbraun at enteract.com mjbraun at enteract.com
Mon Nov 25 15:14:30 CST 2002

How very odd; I havn't been paying much attention to Rescue lately since I
resubscribed (what with being unemployed and all) yet I just happened to read
the body of your message and said "Hmmm, that sounds familiar". Then I checked
the subject and was stunned, given that I was up till around 3am last night
working on much the same issue!

I have a CAIS Miniserver that was graciously donated by Mr. Tom Gallaway (also
of Rescue) which I discovered was actually running a Watchguard motherboard
(pull off the CAIS sticker on the MB and voila!), though it had OpenBSD rather
than Linux. Well, there are a few minor differences (it has an IDE header, and
one of the serial ports points up rather than out (the power supply has a built
in UPS so an internal serial cable gives info from that) but otherwise it's the
same thing!

Here's an internal shot: http://www.dcllabs.net/watchguard.html
(not mine, an actual Firebox)

So, I've been doing some research: firstly, it will attempt to boot from a SCSI
drive if you have one installed and configured. I slapped in an Adaptec 2940UW
with an old linux drive in it, and it got to lilo and began to boot before
crashing (it was a custom kernel for a SMP PPro box).

You can hook up a video card and see the output (it's a Phoenix PicoBIOS 4.0
Release 6.0) but you'll either have to do some soldering or, if you have one
handy, use something like this (http://www.compute-aid.com/pciraiser2.html).
You're still without a Keyboard (the important part) but you can see some of
the boot messages and the sad "Operating System Not Found" message.

The board itself is a custom job, manufactured by Smart Modular Technologies
(http://www.smartm.com/main/index.cfm). Strangely, they make no mention of MB
manufacture on their site, but a Watchguard "s00per sekr3t" filing document
(http://witsoundview.com/ipo_details/WGRD2/WGRD2.pdf) says:

"We currently outsource all hardware manufacturing and assembly for our Firebox
II product lines to two companies in California: Smart Modular Technologies,
Inc., our motherboard manufacturer, and Streamlined Electronics Manufacturing,
our final assembly house. The motherboard manufacturer designed and
manufactures the motherboard to our specifications. The manufacturer may
terminate the agreement for breach or insolvency of WatchGuard. For our Firebox
SOHO and Firebox Telecommuter product lines, we currently outsource all
hardware manufacturing and assembly to Productivity Enhancement Products, Inc.
in California."

(In the upper right hand corner of the MB, it has the Smart name and, in my
case, the model number PCBWCHREV2).

I've been in contact with Watchguard already, and someone is hopefully going to
dig up some technical documents. Smart is on a skeleton crew for this week
(holidays and all), but I submitted an email and I'll be following up next
Monday.

I'll share whatever I can find!