[rescue] Watchguard Firebox II

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Fri Nov 22 21:25:08 CST 2002

On 11/22/02 7:48 PM, "Dan Sikorski" <me at dansikorski.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 20:40, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>
> Here i go, responding to my own email....

Dan- no problem, I often find myself talking to myself also :-)

I was able to dig up the software, and right at the end of the day the
license key that you apparently need to go with it.

The software and key was brought to me by a guy who said the thing was
"broken"  in a won't boot/run sense as opposed to it just being a sucky
firewall. So next week I'll find out what if anything is truly wrong, and
then evaluate the general suckyness.  .  .

Coincidentally, I decided to open it up and take a look inside since I
didn't think I had much to lose. There is a proprietary motherboard in there
(well, it's got Watchguard silkscreening on it) with a heatsinked Socket7
CPU, two DIMM slots with one populated, two PCI looking slots that don't
have any outlet to the outside of the box, and the two slot PCMCIA cage.

There is flash memory on there as well, but I'm not geeky enough to be able
to tell you what the rest of the stuff is on there besides the three
ethernet interfaces.

I wanted to check it out because I was intrigued by the LILO prompt that
appeared on the serial console when I tried that. I would assume that a more
general purpose *nux could be run on one of these things, but wouldn't know
where to start trying to get it going.

Steve