[rescue] running Netra headless (new rescue)

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Thu Nov 21 17:46:10 CST 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 11:57, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    Your best bet is to pick up a USB<->Serial adapter (Keyspan,
> etc...check eBay) and use a terminal program (Kermit for example) to
> connect through the port.

How well do those things work?  Do the requre some sort of software or
driver to use, or will they work with any usb port on any machine
without drivers?

I'm asking because a few months ago, when i bought my laptop, a Dell
Inspiron 8200, one of the reasons i went with it over a Sony VAIO was
because the VAIO didn't have serial ports.  I knew there were USB>serial
adapters available, but i assumed that they required drivers that would
not be easily found for any non-MS OS.  (there other reasons for the
dell over the sony were price, and the fact that the dell had one fixed
cd/dvd drive, and a bay that held another or a floppy.  The sony had
only one fixed bay, and the only floppy drive available was external.)

	-Dan Sikorski