[rescue] running Netra headless (new rescue)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Nov 21 10:57:25 CST 2002

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 08:24 AM, Paul Phillips wrote:
> I managed to rescued a Netra T 105!

   Excellent!

> I need some advice about how to connect to its serial port, so I can
> run it headless.
>
> I'd like to control the Netra from my Mac G4.   Can I connect the Mac
> modem port (RJ45) directly to the serial port on the Netra (also a
> RJ45)?

   No...that's an RJ11, not an RJ45, and it's an analog interface that
plugs into a phone line.

> If so, then how would I direct a terminal session in OSX to connect
> via the modem port to the Netra?

   Your best bet is to pick up a USB<->Serial adapter (Keyspan,
etc...check eBay) and use a terminal program (Kermit for example) to
connect through the port.

   This is easy to do, but there are several steps involved.  Lots of
people here can help you with this if you get stuck.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "So you're really not gonna bite on the
St. Petersburg, FL              transvestite bait?"    -Doc Shipley