[rescue] My new toy in Laurel MD!

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Nov 18 21:19:01 CST 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 07:17:03PM -0800, ed at the7thbeer.com wrote:
> They surplus them -- in pieces, w/ no title.  All the Offroader magazines
> have researched this, and even I've done a little poking around (calls and
> emails) to the DMRS (government surplussers).
>
> So yeah, you can get them.  But you'd have to weld it all back together
> and make it work and then find some way to title and register the beastie.

IIRC, you need to have the little metal plate that has the VIN stamped
on it.  When you assemble the FrankenHummer, whatever piece of chassis
that has the VIN is the VIN of your new vehicle.

People would sometimes buy an old junker VW Bug that was
pre-emissions-ban, cut off the chassis part containing the VIN, go to
Mexico and buy a new Bug, then cut out the new VIN, weld in the old
VIN, and be able to drive it and register it legally in the US - as an
old "1964" or whatever year vehicle.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $39.99/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |