[rescue] My new toy in Laurel MD!

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Nov 18 21:15:10 CST 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 09:06:50PM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:
> Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >
> > Hey, anyone know when the army surplus Hummers will hit the market?
> > That would be a fun toy... And, hopefully, more affordable...
>
> You're probably out of luck.  As of about five years ago or so the
> government ceased allowing private title on them except for museums.  My
> source was several people I know in the military and reserves as well as
> the Kenosha, WI military museum.

The old Jeeps (not sure of make or model) for the military had
independant, rather than solid rear axle, rear suspensions.  If you
were not careful, the independant suspension would dump you with
little warning.

The army would decommission them by cutting them in half.  It was thus
up to enterprising Jeep lovers to buy a front half and a back half and
figure out how to put it together again.

I would have rather the army sold them whole.  People are not idiots,
contrary to what many of us think, and would have figured out how not
to abuse them relatively quickly.

> My suggestion would be to subscribe to Hemmings.

Alternatively, those seriously thinking of buying could fly to a
Hummer-heavy area like Denver CO and spend a few days looking at them
locally before either buying and driving back or hopping on the plane
to go home.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $39.99/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |