[rescue] My new toy in Laurel MD!

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Nov 16 20:45:12 CST 2002

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 07:28:31PM -0600, Eric Dittman wrote:
> One thing a lot of people don't seem to know is that the US
> Interstate Highway System was built to facilitate the movement
> of military traffic.  We (civilians) get to use it the rest of
> the time, but the roads were built for the military.

More info:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/ndhs.htm

"When President Eisenhower went to Kansas to announce the interstate
highway system, he announced it as "the National Defense Highway System."
In 1956 President Eisenhower signed legislation establishing the National
System of Interstate and Defense Highways (about 41,000 miles of roads).
Since then, DOD has continued to identify and update defense-important
highway routes. The National Defense Highway system was designed to move
military equipment and personnel efficiently"

(more on the site..)

Bill

--
bill bradford