[rescue] Re: Fast Ethernet vs. SS2

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Nov 11 16:26:26 CST 2002

On 11 Nov 2002 jwbirdsa at picarefy.com wrote:

>    I'm looking to upgrade my SS2 to fast ethernet, since there's no NetBSD
> support for FDDI. I don't need quad, so that leaves me with a choice
> between Big Mac and Happy Meal. Of the two, I'd rather get a hme with
> yummy full duplex, and they're readily available on Ebay for reasonable
> prices. According to Sun, neither one is supported in a SS2. I'd ignore
> that except that I have a nagging memory of someone here on list trying
> it and finding out that it really didn't work. I've been unable to find
> anything in the archives, though.
>
>    Has anybody out there run 100baseTX in their SS2? With what hardware?

I think I've run both. I know the bigmac (be0) card works, because my
mail/dns SS2 had one with Redhat 5.x (self-compiled kernel) and OpenBSD
2.4-2.6 (somewhere in there). Still has it even, but it's been powered off
for a while.

Bigmac support went away in some recent Solaris release (2.6 maybe?) but
should still be there in Linux and *BSD.