[rescue] IBM RS/6000 3CT

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Sat Nov 9 01:06:43 CST 2002

vance at neurotica.com [vance at neurotica.com] wrote:

> Ping me tomorrow.  I'll get you the resolution and sync information for
> that framebuffer.

It's a little past tomorrow.  Oops.  Had a vacation in there.

> There is one problem, however.  AIX < 4 will not support a PS/2 keyboard.
> AIX >= 4 has no problem with a PS/2 keyboard.

Dang.  The system reports AIX Version 3.

> > Thanks!  I'm sure I'll have more questions.
>
> I can't wait!

I finnally had a chance to fire the thing up, so here come the
questions. :)

I pulled the frame buffer and plugged in a null modem cable to port S1
and booted.  There's nothing on the terminal for quite a while, and then
is suddenly pops up with 'Saving Base Customize Data to boot disk', and
then it looks to go through the boot process, and I get a login prompt:
	AIX Version 3
	(C) Copyrights by IBM and by others 1982, 1993.
	Console login:

Hmm, great, I have no clue what the password is for this thing.  I try a
few, nothing.  After some poking around to find some information on
reseting root's password and/or getting single-use mode up, I power
down, set the key to the little wrench icon, and then reboot.  Expecting
this to get me into single-user mode seemed to be a bit much.  Well, it
did something.  It ignored my silly little single-user request, as near
as I can tell.  It goes through the numbers on the black led panel and
eventually, I get text in my terminal window:
	Saving Base Customize Data to boot disk
	Starting the sync daemon
	/etc/lpp/diagnostics/bin/diagpt: 3786 Killed
	/etc/lpp/diagnostics/bin/diagipl: /bin/tty: not found
	/etc/lpp/diagnostics/bin/diagipl: 3789 Killed

	SHUTDOWN PROGRAM
	Sat Nov  9 01:30:14 EST 2002

	Wait for '....Halt completed....' before halting.

And then it proceeds to do a normal shutdown (I think).

So, my first question (this go around) is wondering if there is the
equvalent of a BIOS on the box.  I'd also like to know how to get more
output to the serial (as I don't seem to get any low-level-info before
the OS is well into booting)?  And, how do I change root's password (if
it matters, I do not have install

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
--
"Would you like to take advantage of wiretap Wednesdays?"
     -- Fed on Sealab 2021