[rescue] Re: e: [geeks] Weta (Cross posted for Rescue goodness...)

ghub005 at xtra.co.nz ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Thu Nov 7 17:13:20 CST 2002

<<
Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> Well this might explain why they were selling off the SGI 1100's.
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/entertainmentstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=2197798&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general&thesecondsubsection=&reportid=56531

Quick!  Somebody stakeout their dumpster!  ;-)

Mike Hebel

Nice link Mike. Thst article is a few months old but pretty accurate. Weta Digital started off with quite a lot of SGI IA32 equipment but they quickly found that white-box was the better solution for the bulk rendering.

Incidently I posted details about the group buy on the 1100 servers to a web forum and it got slashdotted (literally). Although all the 1100 servers have been allocated, I'll still on dumpster patrol ;-) I'll keep the list posted as more equipment becomes available over the next few months.

Regards,

Gavin