[rescue] Arcade Machines

Mike Hebel nimitz at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 7 08:16:18 CST 2002

Tim H. wrote:

> I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to fix, all the cabinets I have
> experience with are mechanically simple, and use standard components.
> The pretty much have to, that's the only way to get affordable
> reliability with the kind of abuse they have to handle.

I wish I could find a local dump around here that had them to repair!
They seem to go right to auction blocks anywhere near me.  At the very
least I'd like a pinball game of some sort.  (Not that I really have any
money or space for one but still I'd cherish the opportunity.)

> On the [off]topic of Arcade Machines, for us poor people it is much more
> efficient to have a single cabinet with lots of games, hence my Mame
> cabinet. Anybody else here have one?  Mine is currently 1 player fully
> equipped, 2nd player doesn't have a full set of buttons yet, and the
> cosmetic finish work needs to be done.  Unfortunately my lack of job has
> really lowered the priority of arcade buttons.

As one of the "poor" people too I can sympathize.  I haven't even tried
Mame yet.  I think it's about 10th on my list right at the moment.
Still, I can get almost any used PC hardware I want from the local
recycler so maybe...

> It is definitely a much nicer experience to play arcade games standing
> up with real controls.  It is also a valid justification for my only
> Windows machine, because my daughter finds it much easier to play her
> edugames on it with the big trackball.

Still would like an old sit-down of some sort.  Especially one that does
the simulated "enclosure" thing.  But then there's something to be said
for standup games - "Warrior needs food badly!" ;-)

Mike Hebel