[rescue] AS400

David L Kindred (Dave) d.kindred at telesciences.com
Wed Nov 6 14:31:02 CST 2002

    Corda> ... indicating that some versions of the AS/400
    Corda> had "tilt" switches built in to indicate when the system was
    Corda> physically moved. Once the tilt switch was triggered, the OS
    Corda> would detect it and require a "revalidation" of the license.

    Corda> BTW, Please, don't all jump down my throat at the same time
    Corda> ;-) This probably falls under the catagory of "Urban Computer
    Corda> Legends".  I do remember that when I heard it, I thought it
    Corda> sounded like paranoid hogwash... I'm just curious to see if
    Corda> anyone else remembers hearing a fable like this?

This may be a mis-statement based on observation of the stick-on
indicators you use when shipping something to show how much tilt, how
much g-force, etc, the thing received in transit.  Some of those things
didn't look like much more than colored sand in a tube with some sticky
stuff at the top.

On the other hand, I could see something with an old-fashioned 14" disk
platter having some sort of tilt-based interlock to prevent operation
when not properly installed.  But that's just speculation.

--
David L. Kindred <mailto:d.kindred at telesciences.com>
Unix Systems & Network Administrator