[rescue] Fast Terminal Servers?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Nov 1 00:32:08 CST 2002

[ On Thursday, October 31, 2002 at 21:40:10 (-0600), Eric Dittman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Fast Terminal Servers?
>
> If all your systems have serial consoles, and you've lost all
> power (both mains and UPS), you may experience the condition
> where the terminal server can't be booted because no system
> that can boot the terminal server is up, and you can't bring
> a system up to boot the terminal server because there's been
> a problem and the system wants some interaction to startup.
> In this situation you'll have to dig your serial terminal to
> get a system running so you can boot the terminal server then
> get the other systems up.

Yes, that's exactly why I searched earnestly for a flash card for my
DECserver 900TM!  :-)

Of course you really don't want your primary server(s) to wait for human
interaction when power is restored....

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>