[rescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #2621 - 17 msgs

Nathaniel Grady nate at physics.ait.fredonia.edu
Sun Jan 27 14:34:37 CST 2002

Original Message:
> From: "Christian J Hedemark" <chris at yonderway.com>
> To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re: [rescue] OpenBSD
--Snip--
> Yes.  I do know this.  But did you know that the package system will blindly
> remove all files involved in the package, regardless of whether or not any
> of those files are still in use by another program?

One of the reasons I really like Gentoo is that it keeps a database of
the installed files (mtime, size, etc). You can safely install a new
version of a packaged, *then* delete the old one. Heck, they even
jimmied it so you can install a new version of glibc from inside of X
with a few web browsers and vi running :)

If you really want to install the entire system from scratch, the
linux-from-scratch project (http://lfs.sourceforge.net) has a nice
step-by-step guide. I find it nice to keep track of the dependancy
order. Gentoo is nice enough (really powerfull port system, installation
program is a copy of gcc and rsync (to get the portage tree) on a cd...

--Nate Grady