[rescue] OpenBSD

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Wed Jan 30 23:28:59 CST 2002

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, George Adkins wrote:

> I would say that this pretty much sums up the Linux experience,
> Doesn't work (yet)? isn't compatible (Oh, that package is only available for
> the OTHER 250 Linux distros...)? 50 different management GUI's (half of them
> don't work, and the other half don't have the features you need) and 5,000
> different startup scripts?
>
> "Yeah, but \"At least it's not windows\""
>
> When Linux get's it's act together, call me.
> I'll be the one shooting down the winged pigs.

I haven't found a package I can't get to work one way or another.  Try
using the source and compiling it yourself.  As for using gui admin tools
- if you need them, there's your problem already.  Startup scripts aren't
a problem either.  They are either a BSD style or a SYSV style.  Learn
them both, and of course you can read the man pages as well.
If you think Linux is so bad, why waste your breath on it?  I'll take my
que from IBM, and SGI and HP, and Compaq and Dell though.  You go play
with your winged pigs, I have work to do - that's why I use Linux.
When I wanted to run a decent Unix type system and had to do it on a
PeeCee archetecture, it was Linux and Sco that did the job.  When I needed
to use novell with a unix environment, it was Linux that did the
job.  When I needed an easy to install lightweight unix OS for my first
sparc to learn on, Linux was there again.  That's not to say I don't use
other OS's..  I use Netbsd a lot, SCO OSRV, HP-UX and have used Solaris,
Ultrix, Free and OpenBSD.  Saying Linux sucks when you haven't used it
since 1.0 is only spreading FUD and trolling.

-Linc Fessenden