[rescue] Re: sunpci note: TWO cards now available

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 30 16:10:30 CST 2002

On January 30, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> neither of these things make it a current contender though.  sure, on the
> couple of machines at the couple of companies where they will continue to run
> it for a while it'll be around, but i don't see much of a new market for it.
> how can you do long term strategy planning when you KNOW that the product you
> have choosen is going to be discontinued in 4 years?  that isn't saying that

  Suits do that all the time.  How long does Intel, for example, produce
a particular PeeCee motherboard before discontinuing it?  How long was
the PIII out before they started pushing the P4?  (granted these
things are nowhere near as bad as discontinuing a whole *architecture*
or an OS)

> VMS won't run, but you do have to remember that geeks don't run businesses,
> suits do.  and what do suits do best?  fuck everything up and drool over
> anything that says Microsoft on it.
>
> Pavlov would been quite proud with Bill Gates.

  Yeah.  Idiots.  But you know...nowhere is it written that these
morons MUST run the business world.  They're only doing it because
nobody has taken it away from them.  Now, I have NO idea how to do
this, all I'm saying is it's not exactly their God-given right.

> 10 year uptime.  VMS rocks.  :)

  Indeed it does.

    -Dave

--