[rescue] Re: sunpci note: TWO cards now available

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Wed Jan 30 01:44:35 CST 2002

>   Last I heard, they were contractually obligated to support VMS until
> something like 2006, or maybe 2010.
>
>   Besides...it's not like it'll stop *running* if they stop marketing
> it.  As of about four months ago, my old lab at TRW S&D is still
> running the VMS 5.0 installation that *I* did...in 1992.

neither of these things make it a current contender though.  sure, on the
couple of machines at the couple of companies where they will continue to run
it for a while it'll be around, but i don't see much of a new market for it.
how can you do long term strategy planning when you KNOW that the product you
have choosen is going to be discontinued in 4 years?  that isn't saying that
VMS won't run, but you do have to remember that geeks don't run businesses,
suits do.  and what do suits do best?  fuck everything up and drool over
anything that says Microsoft on it.

Pavlov would been quite proud with Bill Gates.

>   It's been rebooted three or four times since then, though. ;)

10 year uptime.  VMS rocks.  :)

-brian