[rescue] OpenBSD

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Tue Jan 29 22:55:59 CST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, George Adkins wrote:
> Interesting.
> Other that the times I've had frustration with FreeBSD's inataller on
> specific machines that had other quirks, I have found the Freebsd installer
> to work just fine...
>
> Of course, it _will_not_ install FreeBSD on a DEC Celebris, has some troubles
> on some ALR gear

NO. No you don't. I'll not have you bad mouthing The Project over some
damn PC's wonky M$ infected BIOS. Why do I know this? I *have* a DEC
Celebris. It will boot from floppy, every time. My workaround was to write
to the / of the boot floppy that boot(1) needed to call
wd0--- something. Then it booted fine. I've tried every known combination
(different layouts, partitions, boot code) until I swapped the drive and
booted to it and found the system installed fine. That damn BIOS could
give a rat's ass more.

> and I'm _PISSED_OFF_ that the jackasses seem to have removed
> the "Dedicated Disk" option from the installer...  I have to start all my 4.4
> installs with a 4.2 disk to keep it from putting that crappy 64 sector empty
> space in front of the root slice (Just in case you wanted to dual boot to
> winBlows...)

I'll poke a steve about this; I used to use it as well. It might have been
removed to save space or complexity. FreeBSD does aim toward a larger
populus than Open/NetBSD.

-----