[rescue] Help! New File System

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 28 16:43:51 CST 2002

On January 28, Sonja Ke_ler-Fackler wrote:
> we are using solaris 8 an we did a great mistake. We build a new
> filesystem although we have an existing filesystem on this device. So we
> lost the inodes and we can't use the data on the raid.
>
> Knows anybody how to rebuild the old inodes, so we can use our files????

  Hi Sonja...I'm sorry to say, I think you're probably screwed.
Unless the parameters given to newfs were exactly the same as the ones
used in the creation of the original filesystem, the superblock
backups won't even be in the same places.  It's likely that actual
file data was overwritten by the new newfs run.

  Do you have any backups that are recent enough to be useful?

  I'm sorry, I'm not sure what else to suggest.  This is a bad
situation, I've been in it myself...there's nothing worse than that
sinking feeling after you've hit <return> and see the superblock
backups flying by, when you realize it was on the wrong
partition... :-(

   Good luck,
    -Dave

--