[rescue] OpenBSD

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Sun Jan 27 19:54:23 CST 2002

> on any external box i 98% of the time run openbsd..the other 2% would be
> freebsd

OK, I don't know much about the politics in Open -v- NetBSD, and I am not
a long time BSD runner - only about a year.  My question is why would a
person run OpenBSD instead of NetBSD?  It's painfully obvious to me - a
relative BSD newbie, that OpenBSD is not too much more than a copy of
NetBSD which run's fantastic in it's own right.  In fact there are even
references on the OBSD site about the porting effort of NetBSD.  I
understand that OpenBSD perposes to be more secure than NetBSD, but after
looking at it I really don't see many differences.  A base NetBSD install
doesn't have any ports open, etc either.
Now I am *not* bashing OBSD, I am actually curious as to what the
differences and benefits are one vs the other.  Can someone enlighten me?

-Linc Fessenden