[rescue] OpenBSD

Derrick D. Daugherty derrick at blinky-lights.org
Sun Jan 27 17:49:15 CST 2002

It's rumored that around Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 12:17:52AM -0500
Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
> On January 27, Christian J Hedemark wrote:
> > I know some folks here are too into the politics of NetBSD vs. OpenBSD and
> > can't open their eyes to see the new directions that OpenBSD is pushing in
> > on their own.
>
>   Oh this one really got me.  Maybe I'm just in a bad mood, but no, I
> don't think so.
>
>   You can't be into OpenBSD and *not* be into its politics, because
> THAT'S WHY IT EXISTS.  Theo DeRaadt had a fight with a few other
> people in NetBSD core, got himself thrown out, and started OpenBSD out
> of spite.  Add a new SPARC SCSI driver, turn off everything in
> inetd.conf, label it "proactively secure" to give it some marketing
> hype, and make like it's a WHOLE NEW OPERATING SYSTEM.  Give me a
> break already!
>
>   I'll be the first to applaud if they're REALLY going in new directions
> ON THEIR OWN.  But until that happens, it will always be a modified
> NetBSD distribution that exists because an [admittedly highly skilled]
> egomaniac couldn't let go of a fight.

While this is true...they _did_ go over and audit most every single piece
of code that is in the base install.  it's been years and years since i
was into this but it is a good OS, because of it's roots, but improved
on by some very very talented people.  I have friends who devel for it
and they're some of the brightest people I know.  This could bias my
opinion since i don't know any of the netbsd people.  if they let me
crash on their couch in travels i may be swayed :)

on any external box i 98% of the time run openbsd..the other 2% would be
freebsd

i also got into openbsd w/o getting into the politics..i hate politics
in general.. everyone's entitled to an opinion, but why inforce it on
others?   to me seems like a silly use of energy :)  you could be
fixing something instead!

when avail, i use obsd over nbsd....no politics involved.

IIRC the only obsd remote exploit were the ssh issues and ntp...but ntp
isn't default..i don't think, ssh is.   proftpd and bind don't count
since they're not their code.

my .02$

^D