[rescue] OpenBSD

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Sun Jan 27 10:53:23 CST 2002

> This is an apples & oranges comparison.  I realize that.  Root Hat was
> installing like 1.7GB worth of packages and I had about 15% of that
> (probably less).  When he was done, he had everything he needed and much
> much more.  I had to spend half a day downloading packages and tuning the
> machine to my liking.  But OpenBSD was lean, fast, secure, and only had what
> I wanted on it.  To achieve the same configuration on Root Hat would
> probably take even more customization to tear it down to my level.
>
> And that ftp installation just plain rocks.  I don't even need to take a
> CDROM with me.  Just one floppy.  Gotta love it.

This is why I really like NetBSD.  Fast install.  In defence of RedHat
though, that guy obviously hasn't dont very many or he'd have been done in
close to the same time you were.  Custom installs are the way to go with
Linux and they don't take very long either.  It's a lot easier to pick the
packageg you want before the install then to try and remove them
afterward.

-Linc Fessenden