[rescue] Sparc Network Installation

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at tux.creighton.edu
Sat Jan 26 21:21:51 CST 2002

> A: Can be done.
> B: Can be done over a cablemodem.

He's in trouble - it can't be done.

Sure, you can install NetBSD directly off the NetBSD FTP site, but you
need to boot the installer first.  If the only drive he has is the HD then
that requires another computer running rarpd, tftpd, bootp, bootparamd &
NFS to load the installer: the firmware wants rarpd; the installer, once
loaded, wants bootp, bootparamd & NFS for the root file system.

> Any tips? Otherwise I may have to have the friend send me his box so I
> can drop an OS on it, unless they get a CD-ROM.

Tell them to get a CD-ROM drive.  It's probably cheaper :)

--

Phil