[rescue] OpenBSD

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sun Jan 27 00:08:05 CST 2002

Dave McGuire said:
>   Well, I can't speak to that, since I've never done a floppy-based
> install...but I will say that the OpenBSD folks do go out of their way
> to make their stuff accessible.

The lack of books is pretty forgivable as their documentation is excellent,
and very accessible.

>   Now if they'd only outgrow the HYPE...

I don't know if it is hype.  In real world conditions, OpenBSD does really
seem to be much more secure.  I've put honeypots out there on dual T1
connections in the past and the kiddies just can't seem to get in.  Even the
big names in security sing high praise of OpenBSD.

What does OpenBSD need?  Here are some of my ideas:
1) Better advocacy.  I'm not talking about the zealots.  I'm talking about
people who know when to use the right tool for the right job, going out into
forums like this and speaking candidly about what OpenBSD is and what it is
not.
2) Less hostility (complements #1 above).  The lists @openbsd.org are very
hostile territory.  You never hear stories of Linus Torvalds using childish
taunts against Linux newbies asking questions in public forums, but this is
the norm for Theo DeRaadt when dealing with users of his own OS.  He
actually seems to get off on abusing people who are struggling to learn his
OS.  I think if the loudmouths would shut up and the more helpful people
would take over the OpenBSD lists, this OS would find more widespread use.
3) Improved installer.  I like how lightweight it is.   But from Red Hat's
Linux distribution, I've fallen in love with Disk Druid.  I'd love to see a
scaled down version of Disk Druid in the OpenBSD installer.  The fdisk in
there is just too inaccessible for newbies.
4) package management system.  something like Debian or Red Hat.  I don't
care which.  Just please track dependencies so you don't go deleting shared
libraries that are being used by someone else.

My biggest gripes are really with the hostility within the community.
DeRaadt sets the tone, and his toadies do a great job of immitating his
schoolyard tactics.