[rescue] Windows 98 vs. 2K vs. XP

Christian J Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Sat Jan 26 23:27:20 CST 2002

Ian said:
> Comparing Windows 2000 and Windows 98 - 2000 is _much_ more stable!
>
> (Although it's still windows so still error prone).
>
> XP is based on 2000 with some extra rubbish built in, but stability
> seems ok for a windows box.

I'm writing this email on a Windows 2000 box.  Windows 2000 was the only
half decent OS release MS has had in years.  Still it is full of security
holes.  Stability has been excellent.  This thing will run for months
without a reboot.  I've found no memory leaks in it, no tendency to randomly
bomb out, nothing like that.  For a home desktop OS, I think it is fine.
For a corporate environment, well, let's just say I'm a fan of X terminals
on the corporate desktop.  My clients tend to agree once they see it working
on more modern equipment than the stuff vendors used to peddle 10 years ago.

> Still wouldn't use it for a server though!  :)

Agreed.  And anyone that opens up ports on a Windows 2000 machine to the
open internet needs to change their line of work, because IT just ain't in
their blood.