[rescue] sunpci note: TWO cards now available

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sat Jan 26 20:09:15 CST 2002

> > The Red guys
> > put any configurable option/file as far away from the user as
> > possible.It is similar to Windows in that it tries to make
> > everything automatic.
>
> And this is a bad thing?  From a new user perspective, this might be a
> good thing.  For *nix heads, locating the files to adjust isn't a
> struggle at all.  Grep and ye shall find.

Not true. See below.

> > Nice thought, but it means at least twice as much work when the
> > automatic crap fails, as it is wont to do often. Figuring out
> > where to
> > load the kernel module for a NIC (that's not auto-detected) for
> > example,is a real pain. Adding and configuring a second NIC w/o
> > the GUI is also
> > a pain.
>
> How hard is 'insmod modulename' and adding the appropriate entry to
> modules.conf?   Or creating /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
> by duplicating ifcfg-eth0 and changing the entries?  8-)

It's not the doing, it's the *finding*. Red Hat has directories with
links to other files in other directories that use variables set in
other files that are links to other files and so on. In that case, grep
comes up empty-handed if you're not in the directory with the config
file that has the variables set in it.

I had an easier time moving from a system setup to Solaris than I have
trying to figure out Red Hat.

And no, automatic isn't bad for everyman necessarily, but personally, I
prefer setting many things up manually from the start. That way if/when
they go bad or need changes, they're not so tough to find.

Just my opinion, but I do think that RedHat is more difficult than
necessary. Slackware, on the other hand, puts all the startup scripts in
one directory. Now *there* you can grep and find. Red Hat doesn't even
put all the crontab entries in the crontab. They're in files for
daily/weekly/hourly execution. Might be easier for someone who doesn't
know so much about *nix, but I *like* to have all the
hourly/weekly/daily stuff in *one* file. I know I can put it there, but
I'd rather start out with a simple setup....

--
Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com