[rescue] Gigabit ethernet - worth it?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sat Jan 26 01:55:22 CST 2002

I know that Dave would prefer we all use FDDI, but on justdeals.com I
see gbit ethernet cards for $34.99 and a 5-port gbit switch for $99.99.

What is the collective wisdom of the list concerning this stuff?

The ethernet card appears to be a tigon-based card and has an R4k chip
on it along with other stuff... supported under *BSD and I think under
PCI Suns (a version of this card was sold by SGI apparently as well,
or at least one based on the same chipset).

./patrick