[rescue] Ancient UNIX licenses!

Martin Frost martin at omniconsumerproducts.com
Fri Jan 25 13:22:52 CST 2002

"Jonathan C. Patschke" wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> > You guys know this *is* copyrighted, right?

> >From the ordering (!) webpage...

>    "The Lions book", cherished by UNIX hackers and widely circulated as a
>    photocopied bootleg document since the late 1970's, is finally
>    available in an unrestricted edition. This legendary underground
>    classic, reproduced without modification...

Er, that refers to the removal of restrictions on distributing the
source code parts of the book. The commentary is still copyrighted
by Lions, and I know of no specific permission to distribute it.

To quote from the meta-information page in my copy of the 1996 edition:

	A Commentary on the UNIX Operating System,
		Copyright 1977 by John Lions. All rights reserved.

--m