[rescue] SLACKERS

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Jan 24 13:11:20 CST 2002

Chad Fernandez wrote:

> There is a current production Hemi?  I didn't think they had a
> production car for it yet, that it was still a concept that they were
> thinking about producing.  Is it supposed to be available in the 2002
> Ram shortly?  I keep on hearing that the new Ram in under powered.

Currently in final phases of prep, ready for introduction in 2003 model
year cars and trucks.  The Ram, Durango, and Sebring (I think) are all
getting Hemi options, according to recent press releases.  The Dakota,
logically, should also get a Hemi option.

The major difference between truck and car Hemi is the block material.
Trucks will have cast iron blocks, cars will get aluminum blocks.

The new rams have plenty of power - no doubt about it.  Mine is a '99
and the 318ci is plenty powerful for what I do with it.  I can count on
one hand the number of times I've had to floor it for some reason.  The
2002+ 1500 has limited engine options, a 3.7 liter V6, a 4.7 liter V8,
and the good old 5.9 liter V8.  Of these, the 3.7 and 4.7 are new
engines in this model year (2002).  The 4.7 is directly comparable with
the venerable 318ci (5.2 liter).  However, the major beef is that the
new Ram 1500s have independent front suspension  - even on 4x4 models.
This makes them more susceptable to breakage in extreme situations, and
difficult to upgrade with heavier duty parts..

The 2500 and 3500 both offer a choice of 5.9 liter V8, 5.9 liter I6
Cummins Turbo Diesel, and the 8liter V10.  Most importantly, they do
*not* have independent front suspension!

No lack of power there!

Kurt