[rescue] O2 as desktop?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Jan 23 22:10:04 CST 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 10:52:59PM -0500, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
> I've got a line on a cheap O2 - R5k 180mhz, 384mb, 2x2gb, Irix
> 6.5w/media. I don't know the size of the cache yet and it has no AV
> module. My other Unix machine is a Ultra 30, 300mhz/2mb, 512mb ram,
> how would this compare as a general desktop machine? Without dropping
> more cash into it, what cool stuff could this O2 do that say a U30 or
> Linux machine can't? I know about the video as texture and no texture
> memory features but does that get me anything if I'm only running
> Irix 6.5 and freeware programs?

Well, you can run Blender on it.  But a linux machine is better in some ways
for that.

It would be a kick booty gliv box, but how often do you need an image viewer
with incredible speed?

In theory it would be really great for paint software, but I don't know of
any free software that makes better use of an O2 than it does anything else.
Most platforms GL implementations are too crappy to rely on that much.

--
Joshua D. Boyd