[rescue] RS6000 boxen

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 23 11:13:07 CST 2002

On January 23, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> > All the stuff that has been developed for PowerPC applies to POWER (at
> > least for the most part.)
> AFAIK POWER and POWERPC are similar, but still different.
> I remember a thread on tech-kern regarding the problems of
> supporting the PPC 601 CPU... So the trouble is already
> right there.

  Well that means it won't be as simple as using the existing 604/G3
support...POWER and PPC share a common ancestry, but there are some
significant differences...enough to warrant a separate port IMO.  But
that's not my decision to make.

> That's it. There hapens only somthing if someone make it hapen.
> That is one reason why I am currently working on a RX02 driver
> for NetBSD/VAX.

  HEY!  This is cool! :-)

> I mostly doing it to educate myself in kernel
> programming / internas. I am also using this opportunity to write
> a doc about device driver programming under NetBSD. (Mostly a
> report of what I have done / what is needed to know / do.)
> When that is finished I plan to donate some time to the PREP port...

  Oh this will be MOST excellent.  I would very much like to see some
documentation on writing device drivers for NetBSD, for there are
several drivers I've been wanting to write, and reverse-engineering
existing ones to learn what I need to know is not something I'd want
to spend the time to do.  Please do continue with this project; I for
one will appreciate it greatly!

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire