[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sun Jan 20 13:23:40 CST 2002

On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 11:21, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 10:49:46AM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> > I so completely agree here, though with one added, uh, feature.  You
> > should give the developers access to a loaded E4500 or the like to do
> > their compiles on, so that they can actually test their work.  It's a
> > pain to hack code for 8 hours, then have to leave it overnight to see if
> > it compiles.  :-)  I can't sell any companies on this idea yet though.
> > 	Greg
>
> Yes, and then the developers will spend all of their time logged into the
> 4500 to do development.

Well, you can make that terribly difficult.  Like, don't install
$editor, nor any X runtimes, and so on.

> I've seen this with DBAs, too.  Any database will expand to fill all available
> space, whether it needs it or not - and DBAs think that you can just magically
> make disk appear out of nowhere.  (Most of our systems are EMC-connected, but
> some are not - so you get requests like "hey, can you add 10 gig to /xyz?").
>
> Yeah, when monkeys fly out of my butt and you show a NEED for 10gig..

Hmm, it's almost always cheaper to add disk to a large database
application than it is to add processor.  DB2 and Oracle charge you
based on how much processor power.  So, if somebody needs to add a 10GB
Index, and it means that they don't have to buy a processor upgrade and
associated licenses for 6 months, they give them the disk space.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.