[rescue] Re: [SunHELP] Solaris 9, First thoughts

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Jan 19 23:05:40 CST 2002

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 11:41:18PM -0500, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > Lisp is slow.  But it shouldn't matter since the best use is as a
> > scripting language on top of a faster, compiled runtime, such as
> > emacs.  As long as the core routines are fast, you're ok.
>
> which if you look at the link for GWM (i'll never be able to think of that
> any other way that the "other" meaning of it.  i may never be able to use
> this window manager at this point since i'm going to snicker every time i
> sit down at my computer. *G*) you'll see that GWM is exactly that.  kernel
> written in C with WM profile written in LISP [WOOL].

What I want to see is someone come up with a project that is written in
compiled lisp with an interpreter running on top.  I'm conceptually
exploring the idea of a transformational scheme compiler.

Well, perhaps I should say theoretically, since I haven't seen any recent
works in this vein.  Back in the early days of scheme, a lot of work was
being done in compiler techiques for fast scheme execution.

--
Joshua D. Boyd