[rescue] FS: RS/6000 42T

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Sat Jan 19 17:37:53 CST 2002

That's because AIX doesn't ever want you to think about how large an
individual drive is.
The same way it won't let you allocate all the space on a disk without a
calculator.
It wants you to think in terms of Logical volumes which span any number of
physical volumes,
and filesystems, which occupy the logical volumes.  I bet if you could ask an
AIX designer
why you can't just "create a filesystem as big as this disk", they would say
"Tell me how
big the filesystem is supposed to be, and I will tell you if you need to add
more physical disks."
Pretty Fscking Retarted if you ask me.

try smitty System and Storage Management->Logical Volume Manager->Physical
Volumes->
List the Contents of a Physical Volume->[F4 to select drive]

will probably tell you how big it is.

KL