[rescue] 8 inch floppy?

Mike Katchabaw katchab at csd.uwo.ca
Fri Jan 18 12:57:36 CST 2002

Hi all!

I recently came across an interesting find -- an IBM 8 inch floppy
drive unit with two drives in the case.  I cannot find a model
number on it -- it simply says it is a "type 9000".  This is a
reasonably massive external unit with its own fuse.  There appears
to be some dip switches on the back, as well as two centronics-style
connectors on it.

1) Does anyone know what exactly this beast is (model #)?  Searching
   the web so far hasn't turned up much.

2) If this thing takes power, what kind of data connection would we need
   to plug it in?  I highly doubt that it's SCSI, but I have no
   idea what else it might be.

I just thought it might be neat to connect this thing up and see
if it actually works.  (I do have some 8 inch floppies around here
somewhere ...)

It's likely that this thing will just get added to our museum (or
will be come a large paperweight or a good doorstop).  I was just
hoping to have some more info on it first.

Thanks a lot!

Mike.