[rescue] Sparc Classic

Brian Hechinger brian.hechinger at unitedmessaging.com
Tue Jan 15 14:21:55 CST 2002

Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

>>IIRC I tried to use mpg123|sox|auplay to play a 128kbit Internet stream
>>(www.kpig.com) on my SS20 clone, but the result was far less
>>satisfactory than doing the same on my P-II 300MHz server.  I've not
>>tried mpg123 with built-in NAS support, though I might do that right as
>>soon as NAS and mpg123 re-build on that machine....
>>
>>I.e. even the ss20 didn't have enough floating-point speed to do the job.
>>
>What OS and how did you compile mpg123?
>
>Linux has horrible latency for a lot of things.  And sparc audio
>requires a lot of handholding by the OS.  Skipping might make it
>seem like the machine can't keep up FP-wise, but it's more likely
>to be the OS can't keep the sound chip fed.

i'm also curious since i've run xaudio on both my sparc5/70 and
sparc20/single-150 and they both do just fine.  the sparc5 is mostly
useless for anything else while it's playing, but doing that alone does
a fabulous job.  the sparc20 works smashingly, even considering it's my
desktop machine and so therefor very overused at all times.  :)

-brian