[rescue] octane question

Brian Hechinger brian.hechinger at unitedmessaging.com
Thu Jan 17 23:58:48 CST 2002

s at avoidant.org wrote:

>Brian Hechinger wrote:
>
>>machines i've had as workstations, with the exception of my sparc5, but
>>that thing was SO MUCH faster than my 386 that i didn't know how much
>>better things could be yet. :)
>>

>Oh, I don't know. I'm quite happy with my Ultra 10/440. It compares
>quite favorably with any peecee I've used, including my dual P3/500.

yes, compared to a PC, the sun's do seem to be quite superior.  but
let's compare them to an SGI.  as much of a Sun bigot as i am, i still
think the SGI belongs on the desk and the Sun belongs in the server
room.  i had an Indigo2 on my desk when i worked for PSU eons ago (hint,
the Indigo2 was the hot new workstation from SGI at the time) and that
has been the fastest workstation i've used to date.  nothing has
impressed me more.  with the exception of what's in store.  i can't *WAIT*

-brian