[rescue] octane question

Brian Hechinger brian.hechinger at unitedmessaging.com
Thu Jan 17 18:36:33 CST 2002

Big Endian wrote:

> I'm sorry to hear you don't like th U2 as a workstation but I tend to
> think that SGIs make better workstations anyways.

i would have to agree.  i've never beem impressed with any of the sun
machines i've had as workstations, with the exception of my sparc5, but
that thing was SO MUCH faster than my 386 that i didn't know how much
better things could be yet. :)

>   What did you get? How much?

R10K 250 (don't know if it's 1M or 2M cache though) 512MB ram, 9GB disk,
SI graphics.  $800.  now i need two more SI cards and a FDDI card and
i'll be in heaven.

> Quite likely.  The octane has something like 5 times the internal
> bandwidth of the U2, and the graphics are MANY times faster.

which is why i know i'm going to be thrilled with this thing.  now for a
copy of Maya MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

> My guess is that they treat them like they did w/ the interphase 4211s
> in VME times... just resold them.

i would love for it to be a common FDDI card.  then i could buy a cheap
one. :)

> you have one?  Shweet.

as long as i win the bid,  damn this thing is expensive.

-brian