[rescue] octane question

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Thu Jan 17 18:31:18 CST 2002

>Big Endian wrote:
>
>BASTARD!!!! Lucky BITCH!!! Ok.... have fun with it!
>
>at the price, i can't at all complain.  in short, i needed a new
>workstation.  i was looking at an Ultra2 since they were down under
>$500 lately.  well, i've got a 2x300Mhz, 2GB RAM, Ultra2 Creator3D
>series 3 at work and the performance is lackluster as a workstation.
>they do make amazing servers though.

I'm sorry to hear you don't like th U2 as a workstation but I tend to
think that SGIs make better workstations anyways.  What did you get?
How much?

>then the $500 Octanes popped up and then the discussion of
>multiheading the Octanes, and when i found out that i could
>multihead this thing, it was a no-brainer.  it's going to be faster
>in every way.

Quite likely.  The octane has something like 5 times the internal
bandwidth of the U2, and the graphics are MANY times faster.

>>I think you need an SGI branded PCI FDDI or the card from who ever
>>they OEM them from...
>
>hmmm, any idea what these things go for?  anyone know if they are
>just a rebadged other FDDI card like Sun does?

My guess is that they treat them like they did w/ the interphase
4211s in VME times... just resold them.

>>I've *NEVER* seen an XIO FDDI on ebay.
>
>i can't possibly believe that it would be cheap even if i could find one.

Thats for sure.

>>Be ware that you DO need the PCI cardcage before you can use PCI cards.
>
>PCI Cage, check.  didn't want to spend the extra money, but i really
>need FDDI and so can't live without the PCI Cage.

you have one?  Shweet.

daniel