[rescue] FDDI primer

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Thu Jan 17 15:47:29 CST 2002

><crimson and other info snipped>

Those are ST connectors.  That is an Interphase 4211. DAS(dual attach
station).  If you don't get ALL DAS equipment you'll need a
concentrator to allow the SAS(single attach station) gear to be able
to participate on the ring.

>IBM RS/6000 MCA 7006 41T AUI -> TP (will run AIX 4.3.3)

MCA FDDI? No ideas here.

>Sun Sparc LX (Will probably run Solaris 7, or maybe 8)

This might work w/ an sbus FDDI board but most of them that I've seen
are dual slot.

>Sun Sparcstation 2 (Will probably run SuSE 7.1 Linux... or maybe NetBSD)

If this needs to run FDDI you'll need to run solaris.  No Freenix can
run sbus FDDI (yet).

>HP 9000 712/100 (NEXTSTEP or HP-UX... haven't decided... probably not
>compatible with the former)

GSC FDDI?  No ideas here.

>Powermac 8100/80AV (Yellowdog Linux)

Good luck finding NuBus FDDI.