[rescue] FDDI primer

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu Jan 17 15:15:50 CST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Would you like some more technical information to read about?  I can
> type some more later today if you're interested.  I can tell you
> basically how it works, how it's better than ethernet, the rules for
> connecting things together, etc etc..
>
>        -Dave

I would... I'm definitely entertaining the notion of running FDDI in the
house since I have 10 or so computers I wish to network and for now I have
an 8 port 10/100 Workgroup hub.  I wish to keep the main machines (PPro
and a Mac) running at 100MBps on fast ethernet (to play Diablo II and
other games), but the rest of the machines I own are all 10Mbps.  I could
get a switch, or I could literally segment the network with a router
(something I want to do eventually anyhow), but my Crimson has a FDDI
board in it now - Thanks Dan... so I'd like to slowly get started.  There
are what appears to be four gold connectors (from memory) that look like
tiny BNC ports. (I could start a FDDI ring with one machine being the
gateway to the fast ethernet segment, and perhaps another machine for a
cheapo trash hub 10Mbps segment... or I could just try to get FDDI for all
the older equipment...not likely...)

Other 10Mbps systems

IBM RS/6000 MCA 7006 41T AUI -> TP (will run AIX 4.3.3)
Sun Sparc LX (Will probably run Solaris 7, or maybe 8)
Sun Sparcstation 2 (Will probably run SuSE 7.1 Linux... or maybe NetBSD)
HP 9000 712/100 (NEXTSTEP or HP-UX... haven't decided... probably not
compatible with the former)
Powermac 8100/80AV (Yellowdog Linux)
Quadra 840AV (Debian 2.2r3)

Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.