[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jan 17 13:32:44 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 02:27:06PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Of course, I'm SURE we're all using FDDI here...I'm sure there's
> nobody on this list that would choose the "vastly techinically
> inferior but more strongly marketed" technology over the "newer,
> faster, better, but less understood and less heavily marketed"
> technology....the logical extension of which being Microsoft
> products. ;)

Yeah, but if someone is protesting ethernet, what are they supposed to do
when they want faster than 100Mbps between a combination of Mac OS X boxes,
SGIs, and NetBSD running monstrous NFS servers, and Solaris running database
servers?

Also, much as FDDI might be nice, when I get an O2 it is going to be ethernet
forever.  It will either have a firewire card in it's single PCI slot, or it
will have a controller for a fast harddisk array.

--
Joshua D. Boyd