[rescue] octane question

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jan 17 12:02:27 CST 2002

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:32:57PM -0500, s at avoidant.org wrote:

> Or if you're on an SS20, you'll need to do it triple-headed, so they pop
> up centered in the center.

I once spent some time on a wierd tri-headed windows beast.  Windows 98 has
a mechanism for not popping windows up crossing borders in it's multiheaded
support.  Basically, it realizes that multi-head displays should just be
treated exactly as if it was one 1600x600 display, so it does things like pop
up windows on one screen or the other, and it limits the start bar to one
screen.  I believe the mac does things like this.

Well, this particular machine had a FireGL 3000 and a tatung VGA board in it.
The FireGL 3000 is a dual head board, but it actually acts as if it was just
one large display.  So, I had my windows start bar spanning 2 of the screens,
and windows thought that it only was a dual head machine a popped up windows
right on the border between moniters.  It was kinda funny, but that machine
only was a P120 with 24 megs of ram (yeah, I thought that was hilarious. The
mother board had 24megs of ram, but the FireGL3000 had 36megs on it), so it
barely managed to work properly as a triple headed surf box/xterm, let alone
act as a proper workstation.

--
Joshua D. Boyd